Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Note of Saddness

I write this from O.R. Tambo, Johannesburg International Airport. People are rushing past and there is an air of franticness as I saunter around. This place and the delta are like chalk and cheese. Everyone is in a rush. Everyone, except for me. I left camp yesterday afternoon after suffering a nasty encounter with a scorpion. I had been putting my tent flaps down in preparation to leave camp and somehow managed to fluster and then stand on this unsuspecting scorpion. However, soon I become the unsuspecting victim. I felt a burning pain in my foot and thought that I had been stung by a hornet or wasp. Looking around frantically for the culprit I saw a yellow and black scorpion posed for another attack on my deck. I suddenly realized that this was in fact the heathen that had inflicted my pain and started to panic thinking it was one of the poisonous species. After I had managed to get hold of Sven I walked to the kitchen to sit down not wanting to wait around to see if there were any more scorpions waiting for me to stand on them. I began shaking with the pain. It was the most severe pain I have felt in a long time, if ever. It was so intense that my teeth began chattering and I felt myself on the verge of panic. However, the guys iced my foot and Sven ran off to find out which scorpion it was and to phone a friend. No this was not a sick version of “Do you want to be a Millionaire”. The next hour was one of extreme pain, where I fought tears. Sven and Katrina were very good, applying a hot water bottle to my foot to ease the pain and at regular occasions popping pills in my mouth. When the pain eventually subsided substantially I bundled myself and my throbbing foot into the car and we started the bumpy trip to Maun. And man was it bumpy, with my foot feeling every bump. Its amazing how sensitive a scorpion sting makes your skin. You feel like anything that touches is a red hot poker and your skin tingles like its about to fall off. Even now was I sit here at Wimpy, after enjoying my wonderful chocolate milkshake, my foot is tingling and I can still not move my baby toe next to the sting.
This scorpion sting was just the end to the worst three days ever. My dearest Grandad, Ted Bunnett after years of fighting both emphysema and suffering severely from a diseased liver went to be with the Lord. Obviously, it is extremely sad and tears were a plenty. However, there is a significant feeling of relief that he is no longer in pain and yes has been to be with his Lord and Saviour. To be reunited with my lovely Granny and my much missed brother, Craig. So yes we can be sad that he is no longer with us but also relieved that he is in a better place. His memorial is on Saturday and I am on my way to be with my family for this time. Sven and Rodney were extremely generous and have paid for my flights as they are keen to have me back there again soon. I am overwhelmed by the absolute blessing it has been to meet these people.
The following morning my sweet little Squishy died, after a few days of not eating very well leaving me completely confused as to how and why he had died. I had tried everything and had gotten through the worst with him only to have this happen when he was supposedly in the clear. It was very sad but it was a joy to have him ever for such a short time and has made us realize we need to be prepared for any other small individuals who may be adopted in the future.
So after three days of animals dying, my grandfather leaving us and being bitten by a scorpion I am feeling rather frazzled and glad to be having a week at home with my wonderful family. Leaving however, also reassured me that the delta is definitely where I would like to be. I was quite apprehensive of leaving, thinking that when I returned I would in fact discover that I have been dreaming. I however met a lovely guy on the plane to Joburg and he managed to distract me from my feelings of melancholy. Don’t get me wrong, seeing my family will be wonderful. I have missed them every day, wishing I could experience this place with them. However, returning home will bring home (excuse the pun) the reality of my Grandad’s death. I am not sure I am prepared for this quite yet.
But just to put your minds at ease, I will be back in the delta on Monday after a week of being home, hopefully returning with the long await Cessna which we use to conduct most of the animal monitoring. The adventures are not over yet. Hurray. I look forward to a week of seeing my family and hopefully some of my friends before I return to the place that I am beginning to love.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Robbie... I am so sorri.. I am thinking of you so much at this time... And please... wear some closed toe shoes. XOXO

    ReplyDelete