Friday, April 8, 2011

Squirrel 1, Robyn 0

You know I keep waiting for something incredibly exciting to happen with which to write my next blog about. However, each time I think to myself…I must write about this on my blog…life over takes me and the next thing I know its three days later and the thing I thought would make such a good story no longer seems to remarkable or exciting. Like the other day when 45 elephants rocked up at the waterhole. Chaos ensued for the duration they were at the waterhole then they left and suddenly everything returned to complete tranquility again. Then there are the small things that I see in camp or out on a drive that make me stop and realize that I am living in the Okavango Delta, one of the most beautiful places on earth. Going for a flight over the concession and over the Gomoti River was truly incredible. Being able to see all the expanse of water stretched over kilometers of greenery was just breath-taking. Since I last wrote we have discovered that one of the collared wild dogs Beck is injured. We are hoping that it is not too serious and are keeping an extra ear and eye out for him. Unfortunately, as it is not a human incurred injury we are not allowed to interfere but have to let nature run its course. However, we do have to watch out that the collar he has does not get lost or damaged as a result of his injury. While it is good that we managed to pick up on Becks injury it is sad to see an animal suffering and I am hoping that it is nothing too serious and he will be fit as a fiddle in no time. Sadly, Priya, one of the female cheetahs, lost one of her cubs. We are not sure how or exactly when she lost it but we do know that it was in the last week at least, as she is still calling for it. This too is sad but it nonetheless gives the other cub a better chance at survival and is another reminder that this is in fact the wild. Nature is not kind. This is important to remember when living in such a place as this.
Priya and the one remaining cub. Hopefully this one survives.


On a happier note 2 male lions that have not been seen in about a year have returned to the area and seem to be in tip top health. I have not managed to meet the pair yet but hope to do so soon. And in meet I mean to see them in person, well person to animal and hopefully not animal to person, if you know what I mean. Things in camp are steaming ahead with plans for next month falling into place slowly. We have two vets arriving from overseas for a month at the end of April. They will be here to collar the 20 impala that will be the subject of another master’s student from the University of Botswana. Additionally, I am busy doing herbivore transects though the concession in order to gain the normal annual census on herbivores in the area. My proposal slogs on and hopefully soon we will have more to show for it…details to follow in the coming weeks. I have come to realize that there is no norm around here. Things do not run on a normal routine and nothing is the same from week to week. No sorry, let me correct myself…the squirrels are still screaming at the ground…they are still attempting to drive me to the point of insanity…and yes I am still throwing things at them. That seems to be my only norm. Oh and of course showering and eating. Let me leave you with thoughts of the good little conservationist that I am, throwing rocks and anything I can get my hands on at the poor, sweet, defenseless, little squirrels.
One of the little buggers shouting at the ground!

2 comments:

  1. So sad that Pryia has lost one of those beautiful cubs. Sad too, but right I guess, that there should be no human interference for the injured animals in the wild.
    I have to take you to task in your attitude to those sweet, defenceless, squirrels. They shout at you... not the ground. The more you throw things at them, the more they will shout at you.
    Happy days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want to know why somebody like you would even want to throw things at sweet innocent defenseless little squirrels????? Hahaha Stop moaning when you live in a paradise. God Bless Tania and Courts:-)

    ReplyDelete